Friday, May 7, 2010

Transracial adoptions: A 'feel good' act or no 'big deal'?


My husband shared this article, Transracial adoptions: A 'feel good' act or no 'big deal'?, with me from CNN.com's "Living" section.

Give it a read.

For now, all I'm going to say is that I am going to refrain from sharing my opinion--at this point--regarding the content of the article.

Those of you who know me or are at least familiar enough with me probably know what I'm thinking anyway...

Nonetheless, I will respond in greater detail when I have the time.

Things have been considerably busy lately.

I have also wanted to post an entry regarding my most recent "talk" with an adoptive parent group. And I still need to post the aforementioned entry I've been working on regarding, "God and Adoption."

I'll get around to it, hopefully, sooner than later...


2 comments:

Mei Ling said...

"it doesn't matter what color you're raised just as long as someone loves you."

Until you're faced with those who don't necessarily speak the language you were raised in and don't understand why you don't intimately know "their" culture.

"Kids need love. If qualified, and appropriately screened families, are willing to adopt, why should the adoptive family's race be relevant?"

We're STILL debating about this? Oh. My. God.

Mila said...

I know, Mei-Ling. It's amazing that after all these years, people still don't get it.

The hard truth is that it always matters what color you're raised in and race is always relevant...it might not "matter" to the adoptive parents, but it matters to the adoptees because we're the ones who have to deal with racism and prejudice...

The idea of color blindness needs to be done away with...[unless of course, it's the actual condition in which folks cannot discern red and green, etc.]

When it comes to race, no one is truly color blind. And certainly, in my experience, there are plenty of people who see race very clearly.

Color blindness is an illusion that only aggravates the problem...