Monday, April 20, 2009

nine More Weeks

I.

We officially received confirmation of our airline tickets.

Only nine more weeks.

And we'll be shaking out our wings to take flight over and across the ocean to a land called Korea.

II.

Mike and I have been watching videos posted on You Tube of different Korean apartments, the outdoor markets in Seoul and Busan, and of course, city fashion. I caught a few more videos this morning of Insadong, Namdaemun, and Itaewon.

The set up of the bathrooms in Korean apartments is quite noteworthy. The bathroom IS the shower (one of many videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5886wD-YSY&feature=related). I realize that this is a space-saver and in some ways, quite practical, but if the places at which we're staying have this set up, it will certainly require some adjustment on my part.

And I'm, well, a little perplexed on how you keep things dry--like your towel and the toilet paper--in a set up like that...? I guess storing such items in the bathroom makes less sense when the bathroom is the shower?

III.

But nonetheless, I like new settings, and as odd as it may seem, I'm excited about experiencing the seemingly quirky and idiosyncratic characteristics (simply because they are not to what I am accustomed) of a country and culture that are still new to me and yet a part of me.

Viewing the videos of the outdoor markets in both Seoul and Busan excited me and made me all the more eager for the following nine weeks to pass quickly. Some of the cuisine definitely makes me a little nervous and squeamish, and yet equally fills me with impatient anticipation for the ensuing adventure.

IV.

My husband said the other night that he feels like we'll be flying to Mars.

I laughed and said, "It's just another country."

And yet quite honestly, I can completely relate to what he is feeling. Although I may be able to blend in superficially, I am still going to feel like the one nut in a basket of plums, if you know what I mean.

No worries, though. Really, I guess that'll be nothing new for me anyway--I've spent most of my life being the nut around here...

Smile, wink.

7 comments:

Mia said...

You ARE a nut! ;D Crazy girl..
You probably will have the Mars feeling - I certainly did! But I also completely fell in love with it all because it is so different and in spite of all the cultural differences, and I also can't wait to go back. Until then I will live vicariously through you :)

sherinala said...

hey girl! BWAHAHAHAA!!! my family had that bathroom in their old place. But, if you are staying in nicer places, they should have americanized bathrooms!

at any rate, just stand in a spot, and put your clothes on the door outside. i'm doubting you'll have anything like that!! or as small. OMG I MISS KOREA!!

Are you staying at an apartment??

Mila said...

Sheri! You're so funny. But seriously, thanks for the tip. Although, we're not staying in an apartment--we'll be staying in hotels & such--I was just trying to get an idea of the general set up of places in Korea. Does Eastern have americanized bathrooms?

Mei-Ling said...

Alright! *is cheering for you*

Hey, you have 9 weeks to go till you're in Korea; I have 4 weeks to go till I'm in Taiwan. As girl4708 (http://gyopo.wordpress.com/) says: We can compare notes!

Let us know how it goes, okay? :)

Mila said...

Mei-Ling! Wow. I just caught up on your blog. I did not realize you were going so soon. Definitely, let's compare notes! My heart is with you!

Mei-Ling said...

Sorry Melissa - I didn't "catch" your name earlier, otherwise I would have linked to you by name rather than blog. *sheepish expression*

But, um, yeah. I had my flight confirmed back near the end of February, so I've been just trying to get through school and my placement... now that those things are done with, my mind drifts a lot more towards reunion and I'm trying not to have panic attacks. ;)

I'm sure you are too!

Mila said...

Mei-Ling, no worries, girl! I don't exactly make my name very obvious...I think due to some days not being sure what my name is...haha...sometimes i prefer to hide behind some pseudo-name...other times not...

But anyway, I really cannot wait to hear about your trip...I can only imagine all that you're feeling with it being so close...(and I also imagine that I guess soon I will be feeling some similar things...?)

I'm just trying to take it all in one step at a time...but how does one manage a flood one step at a time?!

What a lifetime "adventure" we are on!?