Monday, January 12, 2009

The Promise


Over the years as I searched for my birth mother, the following song,
The Promise, by Tracy Chapman would always make me think of her, and subsequently bring tears to my eyes. I'm sure that it is intended to be a love song between a man and a woman. Yet the words always seemed to express so well for me the deep longing that I felt for my birth mother...As I would listen to the words, I would wonder whether she had ever held me, ever embraced me, ever kissed my face before relinquishing me.

I would wonder if she was on the other side of the world in Korea thinking of and dreaming of me as I thought and dreamed of her.

And now?

Now that I have discovered that she is alive and that she wishes to see me again, these lyrics are all the more poignant and stirring. I hope that we will both be able to know the other's embrace, that we will be able to return to one another and fill that space in each of our hearts that never knew, until now, what had come of the other...

If you wait for me, then I'll come for you Although I've traveled far I always hold a place for you in my heart If you think of me If you miss me once in a while then I'll return to you I'll return and fill that space in your heart Remembering your touch Your kiss Your warm embrace I'll find my way back to you If you'll be waiting If you dream of me like I dream of you In a place that is warm and dark In a place where I can feel the beating of your heart Remembering your touch Your kiss Your warm embrace I'll find my way back to you If you'll be waiting I've longed for you and I have desired To see your face your smile To be with you Wherever you are Remembering your touch your kiss Your warm embrace I'll find my way back to you Please say you'll be waiting Together again It would feel so good to be In your arms Where all my journeys end If you can make a promise If it's one that you can keep I vow to come for you If you wait for me And say you'll hold A place for me In your heart...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless right now. Edmond (Ebeid) is my husband and he just sent me your blog. We're in the midst of adopting a baby as well and reading your blog is so powerful...and helps solidify to me that it is so incredibly important to have an open adoption for our child...so that he or she can hopefully have the connection and knowledge that you have wanted for so long.

As I read your blog, I'm listening to Pandora radio. And I suddenly heard Tracy Chapman's voice...and looked to see what song it was...and it was The Promise. I'm speechless. Totally made me cry.

Good luck in your journey. I hope you find everything you have dreamed of finding.

Amy

Mila said...

Amy, thank you so much for sharing your heart with me! I am so grateful for yours and Edmond's support. You two are special people :) I told Edmond not to ever hesitate to contact me if i can help you all in any way!

thank you again...much love